Friday, June 17, 2011

Where have I been


I flew fighters for 20 years including combat hunting and killing surface to air missile sites. But I eventually discovered this was a young man;s sport.  I then started work on building and testing the initial production of the B2 bomber -  a sophisticated flying computer exposed to extreme flying and environmental conditions (+120F to -65F).  I chose not to enter the mundane world of aircraft production after testing was complete, so I entered the world of simulator development.  My initial entry into this field was a B2 simulator, but soon moved on to developing simulators to train astronauts on systems still in development stage.  Having proven that I could master this field (we discovered a software glitch with the flight software and taught the astronauts how to work around it) for the first seven increments of building the space station, I moved over to astronaut training in a weightless environment.  This was fun - developing replicas of shuttle and space station systems that would exist sometime in the future.  Then the program started coming to a halt with the completion of the space station and I got bored with routine training.  I then started working with the European and Japanese space agencies to develop unmanned robotic space vehicles to carry supplies to the space station.  I traveled extensively to Europe and Japan working with these agencies to build and test their vehicles..  Those vehicles have successfully flown to the space station carrying their cargo.  Now I am stuck in a maintenance mode for those vehicles and bored.  I have taken up horse and cattle ranching to fill the voids I now experience.  

I succeeded in each of these fields because I would not accept defeat;  I always found a solution.   But I ignored me and those around me.

Intelligent but not always smart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment