Monday, July 18, 2011

Rebounding

For the next 7 months, I dated some, but infrequently.  My sister’s friends were trying their best to get me out of my funk with little success.  Sex was almost nil and what there was didn’t feel good.  One day in mid May, my sister stopped by the house on her way to a party.  A short (4’10”) blond was with her.  Betty was only an acquaintance of my sister and I thought it was just another set up.  I didn’t think too much about it until a week later when Betty came by to drop off a kitten she had promised to my sister.  My sister just happened to be gone.  We spent about 2 hours together talking about everything.  She was pleasant and easy to talk to.   She just wasn’t my physical type, even though I thought she was very cute.  I did get her telephone number and managed to talk to her a few times during the week.  I finally asked her out at the end of the week.
Betty and I had sex on the first date; unusual for that time frame (most of time it happened on the 3rd date or later.)   At the time, I thought I was instigator now I’m not sure but the sex was great.  It became the focal activity of every date thereafter.  September 13 we went on a sex marathon date.  Just us in a secluded location for 6 hours of sex (I remember us calling it loving).  We never separated.  It was long, hard and ultimately sloppy sex.  But I was on top of the world.  A month later, the doctor confirmed the pregnancy.  We were married November 4.
Betty presented me with a baby boy in July of my final year of college.  I worked full time around my class schedule which meant working 7 days a week leaving little time for us…but the sex was still great.  Her father accepted me for me, but her mother was distant and very cool toward me.  I suspect she blamed me for taking her baby girl away from her.  We made it through the year, but we did have the arguments.  As always the sex was great.
My father-in-law loved going to the lake.  He would take his family there as often as he could and camp out for several days at a time.  I was not able to join them due to my job and college.  Betty did go without me on a few weekends during the spring.  It was decided that all of us that we would spend 10 days at the lake after I graduated.  I had given my notice at work and would quit after work on Friday.  Betty, her mother and sister decided to leave on Monday to get a good camp site before the Memorial weekend.  I drove up with my father-in-law Friday afternoon to join the family for our mini-vacation.  It was a great idea.  Betty and I seemed to really connect during those days.  I went fishing with my father-in-law early in the morning and late at night.  We swam and water skied during the day.  Betty and her mother stuck around the camp while we were out on the water.  There were several other groups around us and everyone seemed to be happy to be out at the lake.
One day a few days before we were to go home, I took a nasty fall while skiing and decided to return to camp and rest.  When I arrived, my sister-in-law was the only one in camp.  I needed to stock up on some beer so we drove over to the store on the other side of the lake.  I thought I caught a brief glimpse of Betty with a couple of guys at another campsite.  I mentioned it to my sister-in-law and she told me that Betty liked to take long walks during the day while we were out on the lake and it wasn’t unusual for people to stop and talk to other campers.  After a couple of beers, her sister stated that Betty was spending a lot of time at that campsite and implied that it was more than a visit.  I asked Betty about it that night and she said that it was just folks she knew from earlier camp trips and that her sister was just jealous of her.  The night before I left for Office Training School for the Air Force, her sister said that Betty had been cheating on me at the lake.  I confronted Betty and she said the same thing about jealousy.  I tried to forget it, but it would not leave my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment